Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Poodle-Doodle-Oodle Skirts


So that title is only because my choir is learning a medley from Guys and Dolls and it has that doodle, oodle, oodle part in the song.

Which is in my head.

Because I practice a lot.

And yet not enough.

Do you know that song?

You should look it up.

It's catchy.

Anyway, this post is really just about poodles.

And skirts.

So remember my goal about making something for me that I actually wear?

Ya, great idea. An even BETTER idea is to make something that your children wear as practice because that's much more forgiving.

I have two little girls (I think you knew that if you've read my blog for more than 5 seconds). I remember being a little girl and the BEST thing in the world (or at least top 5) was when you had a twirly skirt that would stick straight out when you spun around. I think every skirt in my wardrobe was tested to see how well it did this.

And ranked.

The higher the ranking, the more likely I would wear it.

So, I made the girls poodle skirts. I know originally these were made from felt in the 50's, but it's summer and I wanted them to be cool, so we opted for cotton. I followed the MADE circle skirt tutorial (super simple and she helped with the math. Yeah!) and it worked beautifully. It also helped that Mady had the same measurements so I had even less math to do.

This is by far one of the simplest thing I've ever made.

Okay, I know I've only sewn, maybe 4 things. But the only thing that was easier than this was some receiving blankets I made as a baby gift (4 seams). This one had about 10 if you count all the edge finishing seams since I don't have a serger. The hardest part was sewing in the elastic on their tiny waist bands and trying to stretch it without having a free-arm sewing machine. I like things where THAT is the hardest part.

For the record, this was the first project that I have made on my own that included elastic. Elastic has always intimidated me. I'm learning it's actually quite simple.

I had some trouble with the applique. I used a shape from my silhouette library, but I didn't use my silhouette to cut it (I didn't have the actual silhouette interfacing and I didn't know if that would make a difference.). When I ironed on the interfacing it didn't stick.

MOM!! (that's always my go-to and if she's not home, then Google).

She helped me figure it out.



Then I tried zig-zag stitching around it and my machine was not being my friend. So I stuck with a basic straight stitch. I think I want one of those machines that can basically read your mind. Or at least has pictures of all the stitches and the lengths because my machine just confuses me.

And it needs to be oiled so it was probably mad at me.

But in the end this is what I got:


Aren't they cute?

They will be even cuter once they are on a certain couple of girls. (I realize I'm saying "they" and only showing you 1 skirt, but they're identical so it seemed redundant to show your pictures of each of them). I'll also be adding matching appliqued shirts, but I have to oil my machine first.

These will be saved for an upcoming celebration I'm working on. More on that later, but know that I'm TOTALLY excited to show you all the little details!

So, what should I make for me?

Linking up here:
Todays Creative Blog








4 comments:

  1. Ahhh! They turned out fantastic! I can't wait to see the rest of the details ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May your self one...and for the rest of the girls in the choir. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance that cotton fabric is a knit? If so, you may just need a ballpoint needle to get the zig-zag to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, no it's quiltland (?) cotton. I have not yet graduated to anything with stretch (besides elastic). Maybe in a few projects. I think it's tension issues and I think what I had in my head my machine can't actually do because the zigzag can't go that tight.

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.