Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mady's Computer



I always get a kick out of the various things Mady chooses to copy from what she sees me do (and sometimes its very eye opening!). These things range from phrases I use ("Really." "okay, just a second" "Kaitlyn, you're fine") to tasks done the same way (dusting, talking on the phone) or recreational activities (listening to music in the car, reading). Which brings us to our latest obsession: "Mommy I want to type" "I need to check my e-mail." She has no idea what e-mail is except that when Mommy and Daddy do it they get to type on the computer. I think she likes the "clack" of the keyboard. If I need to get something done and need her to be occupied, I just open up a word document (don't worry Dad, it's not actually Word. I didn't infest my Mac) and let her type away. We usually end up with a page that looks something like this:

sdljhlkfsdjghiouhrajkrthzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjasfgkjhasdfiujkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkfghsdfkjlhasfliuhfgjkru ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuossssssssssssdhggggggjgjgjgjgjghfsdgkjhruvhdjs

One of these days I'll ask her to translate.

Well a couple weeks ago while going through my blog reader I came across a tutorial for making a play laptop from a wipes case over at She wears Flowers. Bingo! This is perfect.


These ones don't work! And no Z. Lame.


I went out and got all the "ingredients" for making it. Well, sort of. I thought I'd go the lazy way and get pre-made wooden letters for the keys, but when I got them home I discovered that my pack of hundreds of letters was not only missing a z (what??) but lined up as a keyboard ended up being too big for the wipes case.



Take two had me buying the assorted wooden shapes package at Michaels and almost having a heart attack as I counted out the tiny squares and only finding 30 (the heart attack came when I was at 7 and was half done going through the bag of 1000, I forgot that tiny pieces fall to the bottom).



I'm lazy and so I skipped the part where you paint the actual case. I'm sure that makes it look more computer-ish, but she's three (well, almost). When I get some vinyl I'll make her an apple symbol for the front or something so it looks "authentic" like Mommy's laptop.

source
I was so excited to use the Mod Podge Demensional Magic. I've heard so many bloggers talk about it and it looks like it's pretty amazing stuff. So amazing that I can't find it in Canada. Sigh. Don't make me write another letter, Mod Podge!! The lady at Michaels looked very confused when I was trying to explain it. That should have been my first clue. So I just used regular Mod Podge. It's not the same, but it will have to do for now.



I printed out an "email" for the screen of the laptop. I'll enlist Mady to make more screens of her own for changing it out.

I love that the case can hold other things (markers etc) and is small enough to just pop into my purse without taking up much room. We'll just have to make sure that we grab the wipes case and not the laptop when we're going out with Kaitlyn since that kid knows how to fill a diaper. Whoops, sorry, too much information.


I'm hoping this will provide hours of entertainment. And if not, it was fun to make. :)


What's your favourite craft toy that keeps your kids occupied?

4 comments:

  1. Cute idea! Dimensional Magic is available at Walmart. I have a bottle of it in my stash :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo that SO cute!! Just think of all those mom's who will lament throwing out that wipes case when they see this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so clever and so dang cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That is so awesome! I love the letter you put in it.

    ReplyDelete

The fact that you take the time to leave me comments makes my day! Thanks for taking the time. I read every single one.